This year it will be 14 years since I started Raw. Here are just a few of the things I love about leading that have stood the test of time:
- The personal growth you get from running your own company is phenomenal. You learn a ton, about everything!
- Ditching the commute and climbing up a ladder to work each day (especially when it's chucking it down outside) has been liberating.
- Getting to make my own hours/days feels really good (I now generally work a 3-4 day week).
- If it doesn't feel right or fit with our ethics it is great to have the autonomy to say no to a client when it doesn't feel like we're the right fit.
- Having the time/headspace to explore new interests (like spending a day a week on my podcast) has been a breath of fresh air.
- The creative process and solving problems is still such a buzz, it's what makes me tick (I'll be doing this for the rest of my life no matter what).
- Using all the skills I've learnt along the way to develop our own kids' products.
- Going for a nice stroll during the day to clear my head when I need it.
- Being able to work on do-good self-initiated projects just because it feels like the right thing to do.
- And the simple things like wearing whatever clothes I like to work (wasn't so common 14 years ago).
I could go on and on, but what it comes down to is having the freedom to decide my own rules, make my own choices and go in a direction that best suits me.
There's plenty of things that don't rock my boat either about being my own boss. But this is a post about the things I Love so I'll leave that to another article...
But one thing I would say to my younger self to help with the worry along the way is to remember that everyone is just making it up as they go so you may as well have fun along the way.
Image credit: Shout out to Eleonora Marton for the awesome artwork.